Sunday, September 9, 2012

Forex Trading - Monday, Sept. 10th

Market Update: Monday - Asia Session

On Thursday and Friday we saw a substantial increase in risk appetite. On Friday the EUR/USD daily candlestick opened at 1.2633 and closed at 1.2819, a 186 pip move. I believe the move was mostly derived from reactions to Friday's Non-Farm Payroll numbers. The consensus was for +123K jobs and the actual number came in at +96K, with the previous number revised down to +141K. The market interpreted these numbers as disappointing, and speculation over QE3 increased causing the dollar to sell off.

I think the market is due for a slight correction between now (6:00 P.M. EST) and the end of the U.S. trading session at 4:00 P.M. EST. Here are my reasons:

- I think risk is temporarily overbought. I think risk has plenty of scope to be bid until the Fed rate decision on Thursday, but that a temporary correction is likely. There will likely be a move up a day/session or two before the rate decision, so I favor the correction happening earlier in the week.

- Throughout the summer I have observed the U.S. equity markets (on average) doing well on Fridays, and poorly on Mondays. In my opinion, the fact that we had such a strong move up on Friday increases the chance that we see a correction on Monday.

- The Chinese data released today came in slightly worse than expected (Industrial Production YTD came in at 8.9% versus the consensus estimate of 9.0% and Fixed Asset Investment YTD came in at 20.2% versus the consensus estimate of 20.4%) I believe the upcoming Chinese, Japanese, and Australian data that will continue to trickle in over the next 24 hours will probably come in lower than expected. I would specifically watch out for Japanese GDP and Current account data and Chinese Trade balance and New Yuan Loans data releases. You can check for the data releases here: http://www.forexfactory.com/calendar.php?week=sep9.2012

My Trade: I have shorted EUR/USD at 1.2806 with a stop loss at 1.2840. I think there are stops around and above the 200 SMA and 200 EMA at 1.2840 & 1.2857 respectively. So if price moves in that direction and attempts to flush out stops above the MAs, then I don't want to be holding this trade and will get stopped out at the onset of the stop run. I've set a tentative take profit at 1.2702, because as of right now I don't see further scope for more than a stop run underneath the 1.27 figure before Thursday. I may cover the position prematurely at the end of Monday's U.S. session.




BeamFX is an guaranteed introducing broker of Institutional Liquidity (ILQ.) Join us in our free live trade room Mon. - Fri. 7:45 - 10:45 AM EST. 

No comments:

Post a Comment